Our office is not only devoted to your happiness & smile, we’re also committed to your general wellness. We take a serious approach to your dental care, which involves an oral cancer screening at each dental hygiene and new patient appointment.
Like other cancers, oral cancer can be life-threatening if not diagnosed and treated early. Oral cancer can be hard to spot. Regular dental visits are important factor for early spotting and treatment of cancer.
Beware of the following signs and symptoms and consult a dentist immediately if you notice:
- Red or white spots or sores anywhere in the oral cavity
- A sore that bleeds easily or does not heal
- A thickening, lump, or rough spot
- Pain, tenderness, or inflammation anywhere in the mouth or on the lips
- Difficulty swallowing, speaking, chewing, or moving the jaw or tongue
Our team is trained in a fast and simple screening that entails an inspection of all your mouth, not just your teeth, to spot cancerous and precancerous conditions.
At each hygiene visit we do a physical inspection of your mouth, we will also observe the tissue of your mouth and throat to spot any abnormalities.
Each time we watch for changes or anything of concern, we may perform a brush test to collect suspicious cells from the mouth for analysis. If this test returns positive, we may propose a biopsy.
We take cancer very seriously!
What you can do to help prevent oral cancer:
- Avoid drinking excessive alcohol and all tobacco products.
- Maintain a healthy, balanced meal.
- Reduce your exposure to the sun and always rub sun-protective lotions on your skin as well as your lips.
- Visit us as recommended for your hygiene appointments.
Early diagnosis of oral cancer can greatly improve the chance of successful treatment.